This deceptively simple Bacon and Cheese Turnover recipe creates an effortless, fresh-from-the-oven, quick breakfast option or anytime snack. We tried two options today creating this satisfying breakfast choice with both croissants and puff pastry. You will only need a few basic ingredients to create this mouth-watering treat!
PUFF PASTRY VS. CROISSANTS, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? Puff pastry creates a very flaky pocket, while the croissants create a more consistent baked dough pocket. I think puff pastry would be my preference for desserts like apple turnovers but we liked the consistency of the croissants for the bacon and cheese turnovers.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR BACON AND CHEESE TURNOVERS
Puff pastry Box with 2 sheets defrosted. Unrolled and both cut into four squares each for a total of 8 squares.
Croissants One tube of croissants contains 8 croissants but we will combine two together to make 4 turnovers.
Bacon Package of bacon. I used about 10 slices of cooked bacon for this recipe.
Cheese My favorite cheese if Colby Jack so that’s what I am using in this recipe but feel free to use Cheddar, or your favorite kind. You can use pre-shredded cheese but grating it fresh creates a creamier melted cheese. Pre-shredded cheese has been processed to keep it from sticking together in the packages.
Cream cheese This needs to be a room temperature. I had 4 oz of leftover full fat cream cheese from a previous recipe but feel free to use fat free if you prefer.
Chives I just diced up a few springs of chives to add a little extra to this recipe.
VIDEO OF THE PROCESS
LIKE VIDEO’S? FOLLOW ME ON –> YOUTUBE
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVERMISS AN UPDATE
HOW TO MAKE BACON AND CHEESE TURNOVERS
This is a simple recipe that only requires a handful of ingredients. We enjoyed the taste test and we found our winner. What will yours be?
Before we start making the turnovers, lets get prepared. I will be using two baking sheets lined with silicone mats, so I will get those ready now. You can also use parchment paper, and if you only have one pan that’s fine just bake them in batches.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Start frying up the bacon in a frying pan until it gets to your desired status. I like mine almost burn while my husband and kids like them less done. I put mine on a paper towel to soak up the extra grease and cool off.
While the bacon is frying, dice up the chives and mix them into your room temperature cream cheese.
Roll out the defrosted puff pastry and cut each sheet into 4 equal square.
Now spread on the cream cheese mixture making sure you stay away from the edges (about 1/2 inch inside) so they can be folded and sealed shut.
Add your bacon next remember these squares will be folded into triangles so keep them inside the triangle.
Top the bacon with shredded cheese and egg wash the edges of half of the square.
Fold in half and crimp the edges shut with the tines of a fork.
Open and roll out the croissants. There are 8 croissants in a roll but we will combine two together creating four rectangles.
Follow the steps above but this time knowing these will be folded into smaller rectangles.
Arrange them on the prepared baking sheets and place in the oven at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
For some more recipe ideas, check these out: COFFEE BEAN COOKIES HOMEMADE CINNAMON ROLLS BANANA CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVERS?
Left overs can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days and then eaten cold or reheated. To reheat them simply pop them in the microwave for about one minute.
Bacon and Cheese Turnovers
- 1 sheet pan
- 1 Frying pan
- 1 silicone mat
- 3 small bowl (mix cream cheese & chives, shred fresh cheese, for egg wash)
- cheese grater if grading fresh cheese.
- 1 sheet Puff pastry
- 1 can croissants
- 12 strips bacon
- 6 oz shredded cheese (I used Colby jack/my favorite)
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- chives diced
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400° F
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper
- In your frying pan cook your bacon to your desired doneness & set it aside to cool
- In a small bowl mix the cream cheese and chives together.
- Grate your favorite cheese or you can use pre-shredded.
- Beat one egg in a small bowl for the egg wash.
- unroll your sheets of puff pastry and cut into 4 even squares. (These will be folded into triangle shaped pockets)
- Put a little of the cream cheese & chives onto each square of puff pastry (saving enough for the four croissants you'll make next)
- Top the mixture with your bacon & shredded cheese
- brush the edges with the egg wash and fold over and seal them at the edges. I crimped mine using the tines on a fork.
- Next roll out your croissants. There are 4 triangles in a roll but I combined two together making four rectangles. Fill them in the same manner as above.
- brush the edges with egg wash, fold half over and crimp with your fork.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Let them cool for a couple minutes, serve, and enjoy