Strawberry Crunch Cupcakes are quick and easy, but moist and full of flavor. These are a delicious cupcakes covered with a creamy, smooth frosting & topped with crispy, toasted, strawberry crunch topping. The ways these flavors all come together is truly mouthwatering!
This recipe uses a cake mix with added gelatin, a made from scratch frosting, and the homemade crunch topping. The crunch topping used for this recipe, and so many more, is reminiscent of the Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake Ice cream bars. These bring back childhood memories from me. Together all of these ingredients create a cupcake that is teeming with flavor and really moist. These will be a family favorite for sure.
CAN I JUST USE SUGAR-FREE GELATIN? Yes, you can make these with regular gelatin or sugar free. It will not change the outcome of this recipe.
I DON’T HAVE A PIPING BAG. CAN I STILL MAKE THESE? Absolutely. I like using a piping bag because I can control the frosting application better, but you can apply the icing with a knife or spatula as well. You can also cut one corner off of a plastic storage bag and use it as a piping bag.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR STRAWBERRY CRUNCH CUPCAKES
Strawberry Crunch Cupcake -Cake mix ingredients
Strawberry Crunch Cupcake-frosting ingredients
There are only a few, basic ingredients needed for these cupcakes.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CUPCAKE MIX
STRAWBERRY SUPREME CAKE MIX I use Duncan Hines perfectly moist strawberry supreme cake mix. You can always make homemade but I want to make this recipe quick and easy for the holidays.
EGGS Eggs contain a lot of protein which provide structure for the cupcakes. Egg yolks also consist of fats which make a richer result and the emulsifiers help bind it all together.
WATER Water is used to moisten the dry ingredients and create our cake batter.
CANOLA OIL Canola oil will create a tender, moist, and flavor-packed cupcake. Canola oil lessens gluten formation and in turn creates an extra tender texture.
STRAWBERRY GELATIN POWDER Adding one 3 oz box of Strawberry gelatin powder to the mix gives it an amazing strawberry test and red color.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FROSTING
BUTTER The important thing is to use softened butter. Make sure the butter is room temperature before beginning. You do not want it melted as it will make the frosting too thin but just at room temperature to help give it some structure with the powdered sugar.
VANILLA EXTRACT Vanilla extract gives the frosting its flavor. The powdered sugar adds sweetness while the vanilla gives it taste.
SALT This little pinch of salt helps draw out the flavor as well as make sure the frosting is not overly sweet.
POWDERED SUGAR Powdered sugar is the most important ingredient in making frosting. This gives it the sweetness, taste, and structure.
**STRAWBERRY CRUNCH TOPPING RECIPE**-The strawberry crunch topping is amazing and used in so many recipes, not just this recipe. You can add this topping to ice cream, cakes, dessert cups, oatmeal, trail mix, and more!
INGREDIENT NOTES AND ALTERNATIVES *You can use store bought frosting if you wish to make these even quicker and easier. *Make sure the eggs, and butter are at room temperature. *Adding whole or sliced strawberries on top of the icing also create a lovely look. -A detailed and printable recipe card at the bottom has all of the measurements and instructions you need.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVERMISS AN UPDATE
LIKE VIDEO’S? FOLLOW ME ON –> YOUTUBE
two: 12 count muffin pan
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY CRUNCH CUPCAKES
This is a quick and easy dessert idea and can be altered for holidays!
Prepare your muffin pans by adding the paper liners and preheat the oven to 350 F.
1. Make the strawberry crunch if you don’t have any on hand. It can be made in about 12 minutes or less.
2. Lets get the muffins going. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the eggs, water, canola oil, gelatin, and cake mix.
3. After it is all combined together well, equally fill the 24 paper-liners in the muffin pans with about 1/3 cup of the batter in each.
4. Bake these in the oven for around 15 – 19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Remove them from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes before moving onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
6. While the cupcakes are cooling, lets make the frosting.
7. In a large mixing bowl use a handheld mixer or stand mixer and beat the butter, vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar until smooth. Start slow and increase the speed as the powdered sugar is mixed in.
8. Add the frosting to a piping bag with a large tip to apply when the cupcakes are completely cooled. If you do not have a piping bag you can snip the corner off a large plastic storage baggie or simply apply the frosting with a knife.
9. Once the cupcakes are cooled, apply the frosting to each cupcake.
10. Sprinkle the muffins with strawberry crunch topping and fresh berries, holiday sprinkles, or however you desire.
11. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for later.
MORE FRUITY DESSERT RECIPES *Strawberry Cheese Tart *Strawberry Crunch Cheesecake Cones *Cherry Fluff *Strawberry Spoon Cake *Strawberry Vanilla Cake *Blueberry No-bake cream cheese dessert cups *Dutch Apple Pie
HOW DO YOU STORE STRAWBERRY CRUNCH CUPCAKES? Keep these delicious cupcakes stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They are best served immediately but can be kept in the refrigerator and consumed within 2 – 3 days.
CAN THIS RECIPE BE SIMPLIFIED? To make this recipe even easier, you can use a store bought frosting as well as using the store bought cake mix. Adding in the gelatin and making the Strawberry Crunch topping will still create an amazing and flavorful dessert. The Strawberry Crunch only takes, at most, 12 minutes but brings so much to this recipe and many more!
Strawberry Crunch Cupcakes
- 15.25 oz Duncan Hines Strawberry Supreme Cake Mix 1 box
- 1 C Water
- 1/2 C Canola oil
- 3 Eggs room temperature
- 6 oz Strawberry Gelatin 1 small box
Frosting and topping
- 2 C Butter softened
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 4 C Powdered sugar
- Strawberry crunch topping
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line the muffin pan with the cupcake liners.
- If you don't have some already made, start by making the Strawberry Crunch recipe which only takes at most 10 minutes.
MAKING THE CUPCAKE BATTER
- Now, mix together the eggs, water, canola oil, gelatin and cake mix.1 C Water, 1/2 C Canola oil, 3 Eggs, 6 oz Strawberry Gelatin, 15.25 oz Duncan Hines Strawberry Supreme Cake Mix
- Beat together until all combined, about 2 minutes.
- Evenly fill all of the muffin liners using about 1/3 of a cup of mix in each.
- Bake at 350 ℉ for around 15 – 19 minutes. All ovens are calibrated differently so start checking if a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean at around 16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring the cupcakes to a wire stand to finish cooling.
MAKING THE FROSTING
- Use a handheld mixer or stand mixer to beat the butter, vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar together.2 C Butter, 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract, ¼ tsp Salt, 4 C Powdered sugar
- Continue to mix until it is all smooth.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, apply the frosting.
- Sprinkle the top of each one with Strawberry Crunch Topping, fresh berries, holiday sprinkles or whatever you would like.Strawberry crunch topping
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for later.