These crack green beans will change your world! These are not your every day green beans, but wow what a nice change. They are also known as Southern Crack Green Beans and can be made on the stovetop, oven, or slow cooker. My husband absolutely loves them and said we have got to make these when we take the RV out with friends because they will be a big hit. This recipe takes traditional green beans, adds a sweet sauce, and then throws in some salty bacon to make a big splash!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR CRACK GREEN BEANS
With a few basic staples you can create this mouth watering dish. Even the pickiest eaters will enjoy this treat. You can taste all of these ingredients and together that make a drool worthy dish.
GREEN BEANS This fresh and health vegetable is going to go places it has never been before in this recipe. You can’t have Crack Green Beans without green beans. You can use fresh or frozen but I am using canned. Fresh will just take an extra step stem them before starting the recipe.
BACON The bacon adds some crunch as well as salt and, of course, the essence of bacon to this amazing dish. Bacon makes everything better.
BUTTER Butter is used to make the sweet sauce.
SOY SAUCE Is a wonderful addition to the sweet sauce. Soy sauce adds a salty and savory touch along with a hint of bitterness.
BROWN SUGAR Brown sugar adds sweetness to this sauce and takes this to a new level.
GARLIC POWDER Garlic powder is finely ground dehydrated garlic and is added to the sauce.
ONION POWDER Onion powder adds an oniony flavor to dishes without adding any texture or water. That is why it is chosen for this recipe.
WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE Worcestershire sauce gives this sauce a little something extra. Did you know it is fermented for 18 months and made up of many ingredients including anchovies and tamarind? Tamarind is what give it the unique flavor we all enjoy.
SALT AND PEPPER Salt and pepper is just added to the recipe for taste.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVERMISS AN UPDATE
VIDEO OF THE PROCESS
LIKE VIDEO’S? FOLLOW ME ON –> YOUTUBE
HOW TO MAKE CRACK GREEN BEANS
Today I am showing you how easy it is to make this amazing dish in the slow cooker. Since I had other things to make for our meal I opted for the slow cooker option, but I will go each.
Slow cooker process
First, and the same for each option, you will fry your strips on bacon over medium for about 10 minutes or until it’s nice and crispy.
Then you remove the bacon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate. Save 3 tablespoons of the bacon grease and discard the rest. The bacon grease adds so much flavor but we don’t want this to be a really greasy dish.
Drain the green beans and place them in the slow cooker. Melt the butter and add it and the bacon grease to the slow cooker. Next add in the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder and sugar.
Toss it all together to coat all of the green beans. Now you can add in the chopped bacon now or save it and add it in a couple minutes before you serve it to keep it more crisp.
That’s all there is to making this in the slow cooker. Add salt and pepper if desired.
The process starts the same by frying the bacon and reserving 3 Tbsp of grease. Discard the remainder of the grease because we use this same pan for the rest of the process.
Add the bacon grease and butter to the frying pan and heat it back to medium heat. Adding in the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion and garlic powder, and the brown sugar. Cook this for 3 – 5 minutes until the brown sugar dissolves and the sauce thickens.
Now add in the drained green beans and the chopped bacon and toss to coat everything. If desired you can add salt and pepper and serve.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Just like with the other two processes, cook the bacon and set it aside with 3 Tbsp on the bacon grease.
In an 8 x 8 baking dish you will add in the drained green beans, butter, and bacon grease. Then add in all of the remaining ingredients except for the bacon.
Toss to mix everything well. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 – 20 minutes. This will allow enough time for the sauce to thicken .
Mix in the chopped bacon and serve.
**KITCHEN TIPS** This is a high sodium dish so use low sodium green beans if you can and also unsalted butter. If you prefer fresh green bean you can use them as well but they will need cooked first one way or another like blanching or steaming them.
CAN I USE FRESH GREEN BEANS? Yes, you can use fresh green beans, but they will need to be cooked first. You can steam them or blanch them, and then they be added to the recipe.
HOW ARE DO YOU STORE LEFTOVERS? Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 – 5 days. Simply reheat them and enjoy again!
MORE SIDE DISH IDEAS * STEWED POTATOES * HOMEMADE SPAETZLE
Crack Green Beans
- 1 large frying pan
- 1 slow cooker or
- 1 8 x 8 baking dish
- 3 14oz Green bean (drained)
- 10 slices bacon
- 3 tbsp bacon grease
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ c brown sugar
- ¼ c soy sauce
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet on medium heat until its crispy, approx. 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the bacon.
- Move the bacon onto a paper towel-lined plate and set it aside. Save 3 Tbsp of the bacon grease and discard the rest of the grease.
- In the same skillet add the butter and the 3 Tbsp of bacon grease and turn it to medium heat. Add in the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Cook this mixture for about 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the sauce thickens.
- Now add in the drained, canned green beans. and the chopped bacon. Toss everything to coat it all in the sauce. Cook for another couple minutes to thoroughly heat the beans
- Season with salt and pepper if desired
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
- Fry the bacon just like in the stovetop instructions. Save 3 Tbsp of the bacon grease.
- Add the three cans of drained green beans to the crockpot, the bacon grease, and all of the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Save some bacon to top the beans with when it is all done.
- Mix to coat the green beans and cook on low for 4 – 5 hours or on high for 2 – 3 hours.
- Add salt and pepper if you desire.
- Preheat the oven to 375℉
- Fry the bacon just like in the stovetop instructions and save 3 Tbsp of the bacon grease.
- In an 8 x 8 baking dish add all of the ingredients, but save the bacon for the end. Toss to coat everything well. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
- This is enough time to cook the bean and thicken the sauce. Now stir in the bacon and serve. Season as desired.