This Tex-Mex, Beef Enchilada recipe is always a crowd-pleaser at my house and was one of my father-in-law’s absolute favorites. Actually, his favorite was the chicken version of this recipe.
We never have leftovers, mostly thanks to one of the teenage boys in my house. He ate three servings this time!
How to make beef enchiladas
For this recipe, I start off by dicing the onion, bell pepper, and hot peppers. (I always wear gloves to avoid the burn).
Then I gathered and measured out the seasonings, hot sauce, broth, sauce, and shredded cheese. While I am browning the ground beef I pre-heat the oven.
Once browned, I drain off the fat, and add in the onions and peppers, sautéing the onions until they are tender. Now mix in the seasonings, hot sauce, broth, and 3/4 c of enchilada sauce.
Put the lid on and simmer for 5 minutes to really blend and infuse the flavors.
While this is cooking, I place a damp paper cloth over 16 small corn tortillas and heat them for 30 seconds in the microwave. It helps to keep them from cracking as badly when you roll them up but it still happens.
I spray a little vegetable oil spray in the bottom of my 9 x 13 casserole dish and set the shredded cheese and remaining enchilada sauce nearby.
Now the beef mixture is done and it’s time to start rolling up those tortillas. I just place a heaping spoonful in the center of each and sprinkle with cheese then roll and place seam-side down in the casserole dish.
Continue on with the rest of the tortillas and beef mixture. Now it is time to pour the remaining about of enchilada sauce over the top and sprinkle on the rest of the shredded cheese.
Place this in the middle rack of the oven for 15-20 minutes. Pull it out and let it sit a few minutes before serving. I enjoy a big dollop of sour cream on top of mine.
These can be a gluten free meal as well since we are using corn tortillas. You can add gluten free enchilada sauce, chicken, and cheese. Delicious. I hope you enjoy it!!
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVERMISS AN UPDATE
- 1 Frying pan
- 1 9×13 casserole dish
- 2 lb ground beef
- 16 small corn tortillas
- 1 med yellow onion
- ½ c diced hot pepper of your choice
- ½ c diced bell pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1½ c shredded cheese of your choice
- 2 10oz enchilada sauce
- Dice your onion, hot peppers, and pepper. Gather your cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, shredded cheese, broth, and enchilada sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Brown your ground beef and then add the veggies. saute until the onions are tender.
- Mix in the cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, broth, and approx 3/4 c of the enchilada sauce and cook for 5 minutes to mix all thoroughly.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave with a damp paper cloth on top for about 30 seconds.
- Add some of the mixture to a tortilla, along with some shredded cheese. Roll it up and place it seam side down in the casserole dish. Continue using all of the mixture. The corn tortillas may crack open but don't worry about it.
- Once the casserole dish is full and the mixture has been used up, pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese last..
- Put it in the oven and bake it for 15-20 minutes. Let it sit for 5 minutes and serve.
- You can use whatever hot peppers you’d like and/or how much depending on how spicy you like yours. I like mine mild.
- You can also use your favorite shredded cheese. Sometimes we use jalapeno cheese mixed with cheddar.
- I prefer to use corn tortillas but you may use flour. The flour tortillas, however, do become a bit soggy.
- Sometimes I buy a rotisserie chicken and shred the chicken and use it in place of ground beef.