These soft and chewy Graham cracker cookies are an easy homemade cookie you can make with minimal ingredients and very minimal time. You can enjoy these cookies with some buttercream frosting spread on top, or create a smores cookie like I did today.
Growing up one of my favorite snacks were graham crackers with frosting. The wonderful woman who babysat my brothers and myself when we were little would make these little graham cracker and frosting sandwiches for us as a snack. I absolutely loved them and would make them for my children when they were little as well. You can take your favorite frosting and spread it on top of these cookies for a blast from the past. They are absolutely delicious that way, or create some smores graham cracker cookies like I will show you today.
CAN I USE STALE GRAHAM CRACKERS? I WOULDN’T USE GRAHAM CRACKERS ONCE THEY’VE BECOME STALE. IT CHANGES THEIR FLAVOR, SO IF YOU DON’T LIKE THE TASTE OF STALE GRAHAM CRACKERS YOU WON’T LIKE IT IN A COOKIE EITHER. HOWEVER THIS IS A GOOD WAY TO USE UP GRAHAM CRACKERS SO THEY DO NOT BECOME STALE SINCE THEY DO GO STALE PRETTY QUICKLY UPON OPENING THEM.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR GRAHAM CRACKER COOKIES
The ingredients needed for this recipe is one of the reasons why I enjoy them as well. I typically have all of these ingredients on hand and they can be made in just a few short minutes and then a few short minutes in the oven.
GRAHAM CRACKERS For ease you can use graham cracker crumbs, but you can also use any open graham crackers by throwing them in the processor until they are grainy like crumbs or place them in a plastic bag and crush them up. This will be used in place of flour in our cookies.
GRANULATED SUGAR Granulated sugar absorbs liquid from the dough and helps to give a little crispness to the outside of the cookies.
DARK BROWN SUGAR Adds a deeper flavor like a hint of caramel while also providing some chewiness to our cookies.
BAKING SODA Baking soda changes not only the texture, but also the taste and overall look of your cookies. It helps to give the cookies a little lift while also making them fluffier and delicious.
SALT I am using Kosher salt as the large grains help to draw out more moisture.
BUTTER As always I use unsalted butter so I can control the amount of salt in all of my recipes.
EGGS We will be using one whole egg plus a yolk for this recipe. Because of the Lecithin and fat in the yolk it will enrich the flavor while giving our cookies a fluffier consistency.
VANILLA Vanilla is one of my favorite flavorings to add to my baking.
OPTIONAL FOR SMORES GRAHAM CRACKER COOKIES:
MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS You can create a smores graham cracker cookie by adding some milk chocolate chips and mini marshmallows to our graham cracker cookies.
MINIATURE MARSHMALLOWS Of course you can have smores cookies without marshmallows. Alternatively you could use the dehydrated marshmallow bits.
INGREDIENT NOTES * If you want them even fluffier you can add a 1/2 cup of all purpose flour and remove 3/4 c of the graham cracker crumbs. * Using your hands really helps to form the dough balls for this recipe. * Try to keep the marshmallow in the middle of the dough ball. * Only bake for 6-7 minutes so they don't go flat and the marshmallow doesn't completely melt away.
VIDEO- MAKING GRAHAM CRACKER COOKIES
LIKE VIDEO’S? FOLLOW ME ON –> YOUTUBE
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVERMISS AN UPDATE
HOW TO MAKE GRAHAM CRACKER COOKIES
Quick and easy recipe requiring only a few simple ingredients that can be baked in less than 10 minutes! These graham cracker cookies are a nice change
Before we get going lets get things ready. Grab out your baking sheets. (This set on Amazon comes with 3 pans, 3 racks, and 3 silicone mats). I like to use two so I can keep rotating them in and out of the oven. Line them with either silicone mats or parchment paper.
If you are not using prepared graham crackers crumbs lets get those prepared as well. Simply place 18 whole crackers in a plastic bag and smash them up to graham cracker crumbs size or throw them in a food processor.
Lastly, turn on the oven and preheat it to 350 F.
MAKING THE DOUGH FOR GRAHAM CRACKER COOKIES
- Whisk together the granulated sugar, dark brown sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- Next add in the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Pour in the graham cracker crumbs and thoroughly combine. (If you just want regular graham cracker cookies, stop here). Roll into balls about an inch and a half size about two inches apart on the sheet and bake.
- You can make the smores version as I did in the video and images simply add in your chocolate chips and miniatures marshmallows.
- Using your hands roll them into approximately an inch and a half size dough balls and try to keep the marshmallows inside the dough so they don’t completely melt.
- Place them on the baking sheet about two inches apart and bake for 6 -7 minutes.
- Let them cool before removing them from the cookie sheet and placing on a wire cooling rack.
HOW DO I STORE LEFTOVER GRAHAM CRACKER COOKIES? THEY CAN BE KEPT IN AN AIRTIGHT BAG OR CONTAINER ON THE COUNTER (ONCE COOLED) FOR UP TO 5 DAYS. PLACE A SLICE OF BREAD IN WITH THEM AFTER A COUPLE DAYS TO KEEP THEM FROM GETTING TOO HARD. THIS BREAD TRICK WORKS FOR PRETTY MUCH ANY COOKIE.
CAN I FREEZE THESE GRAHAM CRACKER COOKIES? YES, YOU CAN PUT THESE COOKIES IN A FREEZER BAG OR CONTAINER AND FREEZE FOR UP TO 3 MONTHS. ALTERNATIVELY, YOU COULD ALSO FREEZE THE PREPARED DOUGH BUT I WOULD ROLL UP THE DOUGH BALLS INTO THE COOKIE SIZE ROLLS AND FLASH FREEZE ON A COOKIE SHEET. THEN BAG THEM UP ALL TOGETHER OR IN SEPARATE BAGS TO REMOVE HOW MANY YOU WANT IN THE FUTURE. THESE CAN BE KEPT IN THE FREEZER FOR UP TO 5 MONTHS. THAW OUT THE COOKIE DOUGH IN THE REFRIGERATOR OVER NIGHT BEFORE YOU PUT THEM IN THE OVEN.
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS RECIPE, CHECK THESE OUT * Heart Cookies with Jam * Coffee Bean Cookies * Chocolate chip shortbread logs * Strawberry Cake Cookies
GRAHAM CRACKER COOKIES
- baking sheet
- Silicone mat or parchment paper
- mixing bowl
- 2¾ c Graham cracker crumbs approx. 18 whole crackers
- ¼ c Granulated sugar
- ¼ c Packed dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- 8 tbsp Unsalted butter 1 stick (melted & cooled)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Optional to make smores graham cracker cookies
- 1½ c milk chocolate chips
- 1 c mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and prepare your baking sheet with either a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Either use graham cracker crumbs or throw 18 whole graham crackers into a food processors or smash them in a plastic bag until they are crumb size.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together both sugars, baking soda, and salt to combine.¼ c Granulated sugar, ¼ c Packed dark brown sugar, ½ tsp Baking soda, ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- Now, mix in the melted butter, egg, and vanilla and mix with a spatula. Incorporate in the graham cracker crumbs with a spatula.8 tbsp Unsalted butter, 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, 1 tsp Vanilla extract, 2¾ c Graham cracker crumbs
- If you are going to make the smores graham cracker cookies, now is the time to add in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.1½ c milk chocolate chips, 1 c mini marshmallows
- Roll up about 1 ½ Tablespoons of the mix in your hands to form a ball. The heat from your hands really helps with this dough. Try to keep the marshmallows in the center of the dough ball.
- Space the dough balls about 2 inches apart. Bake in the preheated oven for 6-7 minutes. Leave the cookies on the baking sheet to cool for 10 minutes before using a flat spatula to transfer off the cookie sheet.