I love all things chocolate and sugar, but this cake is equally amazing to me. When I first tried this delicious cake probably 20 years ago, it was love at first bite. Moist, creamy, and perfectly sweet.
This delicious cake has been called a jelly roll, roll cake, and Swiss roll. The fillings and topping are practically endless so let this fun cake and your imagination go wild. For example, this Pumpkin Fluff mix would taste amazing in this cake roll.
- granulated sugar
- flour (all-purpose or cake)
- grated chocolate
- Dream Whip
- heavy cream
- cream cheese
- Mandarin oranges
How to Make Mandarin roll cake
Make sure you drained your mandarins for a many hours if not overnight and then preheat your oven to 390 degrees.
MANDARIN CAKE ROLL PROCESS VIDEO
LIKE VIDEO’S? FOLLOW ME ON –> YOUTUBE
- In your mixing bowl add 6 eggs plus 4 egg yolks
- Add in your sugar and mix on high for 6 minutes. The mixture will turn into a whiteish airy mixture.
- Now add in your flour by folding it in
Baking and cooling the cakes
- Line pans with parchment paper, split the mixture in half on the jelly pans and smooth out.
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate, save a little for the top of finished rolls.
- Put in the oven for less than 10 min., just until it is golden. Over baking can cause cracks when rolling.
- Remove and flip onto a tea towels. I lay my tea towel over the cake, place a cutting board on top and flip the cake over.
- Cool a couple minutes, carefully remove parchment, and roll cake up in the towel. Cool completely before icing.
Cream filling mix
- When the cake is cool, prepare your whipped spread. In your mixing bowl prepare the 2 dream whip packages as it says on the box.
- Add in the heavy cream and whip until stiff.
- Mix in the cream cheese until well combined
Completing the cake
- Unroll cake and spread the whipped topping evenly space the mandarins (leave a few for the top of the completed roll).
- Roll up the cake starting on the long-side and keep it seam side down.
- I run a layer of whip topping down the center and space mandarins down the length of the cake roll.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and/or grated chocolate.
- Chill at least an hour, so it holds its shape when being sliced.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVERMISS AN UPDATE
Please share your creations with me if you try this recipe on Facebook and Instagram.
Mandarin Cake Roll
Easy spongy cake recipe that is simple to roll and delicious to eat!
- 2 cookie sheets/jelly roll pan
- 1 stand mixer
- 2 tea towels
- parchment paper
- 6 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 250 grams sugar
- 300 grams flour (all-purpose or cake)
- 800 grams heavy cream
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 envelopes Dream Whip
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 small cans Mandarin oranges
- ½ cup grated chocolate
- **Drain the cans of mandarin oranges. (Preferably over night) Also want to set out the cream cheese so it is softened.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F
- In your mixer bowl add 6 eggs. Then separate the other 4 eggs and only use the yolk. So in your mixing bowl you'll have 10 yolks but only 6 whites. (I save the 4 whites in the fridge for breakfast the next day).
- Add the 250 grams of sugar and mix on high for 6 minutes.
- Add the 300 grams of flour and fold it into the mix.
- Add parchment paper on both cookie sheets. Separate half of the dough onto each cookie sheet.
- Smooth out the dough and then sprinkle with shredded chocolate. Save a couple Tbsp to sprinkle on the top of the finished rolls.
- Bake for less than 10 minutes until only golden. You can bake them one at a time or together.
- Remove and flip onto kitchen towel. Cool slightly and gently remove the parchment paper.
- Starting on the long side roll up the cake and set it on a wire rack to cool completely with the seam side down. Do this before it cools to prevent cracking when rolling it back up with the filling.
Whipped filling prep
- Now in your mixing bowl dump the two Dream Whip packages and follow instructions on the box to prepare.
- Add your 800 grams of heavy cream and mix until stiff
- Add in softened cream cheese and mix until well combined.
- Once cakes are cooled, unroll and spread cream filling on both and evenly add the tangerines and roll it up from the long side (I save enough to place some on the top when rolled up). Keep the cake seam side down.
- I run a little bit of the cream filling down the top center of the roll and place remaining tangerines down the center and sprinkle with remaining chocolate.
- Chill for at least an hour so the cake holds it shape when you cut it. Store in the refrigerator.
- You can replace the grated chocolate with grated orange peal or powdered sugar if you prefer.
- I prefer dream whip but you can also use cool whip or similar if you prefer.
- you can fill this with a jam spread like a “jelly roll” or a chocolate spread, apple cinnamon whip, pretty much any flavor you can imagine.
- Topping are interchangeable and almost limitless as well. You can cover this in simple powdered sugar, whip topping, chocolate ganache, etc.
Calories: 1085kcalCarbohydrates: 112gProtein: 16gFat: 66gSaturated Fat: 40gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 319mgSodium: 167mgPotassium: 587mgFiber: 5gSugar: 70gVitamin A: 4062IUVitamin C: 56mgCalcium: 227mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!