Spaetzle is a very versatile side to make that is basically an egg noodle or dumpling. You can make the spaetzle ahead of time and then prepare the mushrooms and cream sauce and pork chops. Here is the recipe for making Spaetzle. Spaetzle, mushroom gravy, and pork chops is a delicious way to end the day.
Since I already have the spaetzle made, this recipe will be for the mushroom cream sauce and pork chops. The mushroom cream sauce was inspired from a dear friend of mine over at Pear Tree Kitchen.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THIS RECIPE:
I used thin porkchop, pork cutlets, for this recipe. Meat, along with everything else, has gotten so expensive and I can typically find the thinner chops marked down. Be vigilant not to overcook creating dry and chewy pork. I find a quick sear on each side for about 3 minutes works well.
Unsalted butter is used for pan searing and the mushroom sauce. We want to use unsalted for two reasons to control the saltiness of the food and also because salt draws moisture out and we do not want to draw moisture out of the porkchops or the mushrooms.
Mushrooms are the main ingredient for the mushroom sauce. I used whole white mushrooms quartered for this recipe. (see PRO TIPS for alternatives)
This helps to create the rich, flavorful, dark mushroom sauce. Beef stock would be a great alternative if you have it.
Garlic pairs very nicely with the mushrooms and adds a delicious flavor to the sauce.
Heavy cream is used to help thicken this sauce. Light cream does not thick as well. Use heavy cream if possible, it gives this sauce the perfect creaminess and helps meld all the flavors together.
Cream Cheese (softened)
This too will help to thicken up the sauce and give it a creamy texture along with adding a little bit of tanginess and cheesiness to the sauce.
This is a sauce we are creating, so some added water is necessary to create the perfect mouth watering texture that is needed.
Salt & Pepper
Salt and pepper is added to taste, so this will be added to your personal preference.
How to prepare mushroom cream sauce & pork chops
- In your saucepan melt one stick of butter and add one cup of water and two tsp. of beef bouillon.
2. Add in your cleaned and quartered mushrooms and boil for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Pour the contents into your large frying pan and add the garlic and continue to stir.
4. Then you want to add in the heavy whipping cream
6. Finally, add in the cream cheese and stir until it’s all melted and incorporated.
Cover and set aside to prepare your pork chops unless you are making these simultaneously.
QUICK PORK CHOPS
For the porkchops, you will melt 4 Tbsp of butter in a frying pan. While this is melting trim any extra fat off the cutlets, pay them dry, & season both sides with salt/pepper.
Place the port chops down in the frying pan and cook both sides for approx. 3 minutes each, until completely cooked but not dry and chewy.
Spoon up the spaetzle on top a plate, add your porkchops, and enjoy!
This was a delicious and satisfying meal. Hope you give it a try and let me know what you think on Facebook or Instagram.
PRO TIPS If you do not have a Spaetzle maker you can use other tools at home to make your own or you can buy them on line in ready to go packets or dried. There are also Gluten free options. I cut up whole white mushrooms for this recipe but you can use brown mushrooms, the mushroom of your choice, or an assortment of mushrooms. If you do not care for mushrooms you can replace this mushroom cream sauce with your favorite gravy. I know a nice brown, or turnkey gravy would be really good with this. I wanted to add some veggies to this dish. I cut off the hard thick ends on some asparagus and threw them on a baking sheet. Then simply drizzle some oil over the top (just enough to lightly coat them). Then I just added a sprinkling of garlic powder and parmesan cheese over the top. Bake at 325 F for 7 minutes or so depending on their thickness. Start checking on them after 7 minutes.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVERMISS AN UPDATE
HERE ARE SOME OTHER RECIPES I THINK YOU MIGHT ENJOY Homemade Spaetzle Donauwellen Cake Mandarin Roll Cake
Please share your creations with me if you try this recipe on Facebook and Instagram.
Mushroom gravy & pork chops
- 1 large frying pan
- 1 medium frying pan
- 1 medium size pot
Mushroom Cream sauce
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 c water
- 2 tsp beef bouillon
- 8 oz mushrooms cleaned and quartered
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 c heavy cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 T butter
- 4 pork chops I had thin cut today
- salt and pepper to season
Mushroom cream sauce
- Melt one stick of butter in your sauce pan
- Add one cup of water & 2 tsp of beef bouillon
- Add in the 8 oz of cleaned & quartered mushrooms and cook over a low boil for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. (Could honestly do this all in the large frying pan)
- Pour into large frying pan over medium heat & add in your garlic.
- Then add in your whipping cream & stir well.
- Add in your already cooked spaetzle noodles & warm them up.
- Lastly add your cream cheese and stir until completely melted and mixed with the noodles. It's ready to be served & enjoyed.
- Cut off any excess fat & pat dry.
- Season with salt & pepper on both sides.
- Melt 4 T of butter in a frying pan and cook the pork chops for approx. 3 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked but not dry.