These Coffee Muffins are ridiculously simple to make. They are topped with a delicious streusel and then drizzled with a coffee icing that just takes them to another level. No special equipment needed just a couple mixing bowls and a muffin tray along side the basic household staples in this recipe. These coffee cake muffins can be switched up easily by adding some chocolate chips, cinnamon, nutmeg, nuts, or by using expresso.
These yummy bakery style muffins are a nice change from ordinary muffins, at least for the coffee lovers. I enjoy them warm, sliced in half, and brushed with butter and cinnamon sugar. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter and half a teaspoon to the streusel as well for a built in cinnamon kick.
These muffins really have it all from the coffee flavor and kick, soft and tender muffin, crunchy topping, and the coffee glaze drizzled on the top. Sip your cup of coffee and eat it too. Get your coffee fix plus a little something extra with this sweet treat!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE COFFEE MUFFINS
Muffins are one of those easy recipes where you just mix everything together in one bowl and divide it evenly into the muffin pan and toss it in the oven. This recipe is the same with a couple of optional bonuses you can do with or without: the streusel topping and the coffee icing. As you can see for the list below they don’t require many ingredients or much effort to create the extra pizzazz.
- STREUSEL INGREDIENTS
- LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- MUFFIN INGREDIENTS
- GRANULATED SUGAR
- VEGETABLE OIL
- BREWED BLACK COFFEE
- VANILLA EXTRACT
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- BAKING POWDER
- COFFEE ICING INGREDIENTS
- POWDERED SUGAR
- BREWED BLACK COFFEE
No special equipment needed. All you need are:
*Kitchen Tips* *Make sure you don't over mix your muffin batter because it will make the muffins very dense. *Make the streusel first to allow the butter to really mix with the topping and help it create a nice crumbly topping. *If you enjoy cinnamon you can add 1 tsp of cinnamon to the batter and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the streusel. Add nutmeg or chopped nuts if you'd like as well. *Dark brown sugar would also work great in place of light brown sugar in the streusel topping.
VIDEO- MAKING COFFEE MUFFINS
LIKE VIDEO’S? FOLLOW ME ON –> YOUTUBE
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVERMISS AN UPDATE
HOW TO MAKE COFFEE MUFFINS
There are three different parts to this recipe but they are simply and do not require any special ingredients or equipment. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare your muffin tin by greasing, lining with muffin papers, or use silicone liners like I used.
- In a medium size mixing bowl place all of your streusel ingredients and use your fingertips to mix and press it all together mixing well until it forms a crumble.
- Making it first allows the butter time to mix and absorb well to create a perfect crumble topping. Set it aside until the muffin batter is completed and poured into the muffin tin.
- In your large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, coffee, and vanilla.
- Next add in your flour, baking powder, and salt. **Use a spatula and mix until combined but do not overmix as it will cause your muffins to be very dense.
- Divide the batter up evenly in the 12 muffin wells.
- Now top each one with streusel gently pressing it down lightly on the tops of each one. This prevents the topping from rolling off the muffins as they bake and fluff up.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean. If the streusel starts to brown too much you can put aluminum foil over the top.
- Mix the powdered sugar with 2 teaspoons of black coffee add more if needed to create a nice glaze that can be drizzled over the muffins.
- Drizzle the tops of the muffins with the glaze as you serve them.
HOW DO YOU STORE THESE COFFEE MUFFINS? You can store these muffins in an airtight container or bag on the counter for up to three days once they have completely cooled. I prefer them warm and on the first day.
CAN THESE COFFEE MUFFINS BE FROZEN? Yes. These can be frozen for up to 6 months. They need to be kept in an airtight container or freezer bag. Pull one from the freezer and let it thaw overnight to enjoy the next day.
HERE ARE SOME MORE GREAT RECIPES * COFFEE BEAN COOKIES * GRAHAM CRACKER COOKIES * HEART COOKIES WITH JAM * STRAWBERRY CAKE COOKIES
- 2 TBSP BUTTER
- 2 TBSP LIGHT BROWN SUGAR PACKED
- ⅓ C ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1 TBSP OLD-FASHIONED OATS
COFFEE MUFFIN INGREDIENTS
- ¾ C GRANULATED SUGAR
- 2 EGGS LARGE WHOLE
- ½ C MILK WHOLE OR 2%
- ½ C VEGETABLE OIL
- ¼ C BLACK COFFEE BREWED STRONG
- 1 TBSP VANILLA EXTRACT
- 2⅓ C ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 2½ tsp BAKING POWDER
- ¼ tsp SALT
- 2-4 tsp BREWED STRONG BLACK COFFEE start with 2 add more if needed
- ½ C POWDERED SUGAR
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and prepare your 12 muffin pan. You can grease your tin or use paper liners, or silicone liners, or use a silicone muffin pan.
- Lets get the Streusel ready so the butter and ingredients can meld together even better as it sits while we prepare the Muffin mix.
- In your medium size bowl, add in all the streusel ingredients: butter, brown sugar, flour, and oats.2 TBSP BUTTER, 2 TBSP LIGHT BROWN SUGAR, ⅓ C ALL PURPOSE FLOUR, 1 TBSP OLD-FASHIONED OATS
- Use your fingers to mix it all together, squeezing and pressing until you get it all crumbly. Set it aside, while we prepare the muffin mix.
- In your large mixing bowl combine the sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla, vegetable oil, and coffee until well combined.¾ C GRANULATED SUGAR, 2 EGGS LARGE WHOLE, ½ C MILK WHOLE OR 2%, ½ C VEGETABLE OIL, ¼ C BLACK COFFEE, 1 TBSP VANILLA EXTRACT
- Next add in your flour, baking powder, and salt. Fold this all together using a spatula until just combined. Do not over mix.2⅓ C ALL PURPOSE FLOUR, 2½ tsp BAKING POWDER, ¼ tsp SALT
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the 12 wells in your prepared muffin pan.
- Now sprinkle on top of each muffin with your streusel/crumble topping and press slightly so as the muffins fluff the crumble doesn't just roll off the muffins on to your pan.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. It took 22 minutes in my oven.
- When you remove the muffins from the oven cool them on a rack and prepare your coffee icing.
- In your small mixing bowl, start by adding 2 tsp of coffee to your powdered sugar and mixing. Add more and mix as needed to make it just runny enough to be able to drizzle on top of your cooled muffins.½ C POWDERED SUGAR, 2-4 tsp BREWED STRONG BLACK COFFEE
- Serve and enjoy!!