This is a perfect meal for my family. We all love Mexican food and this Tater Tot Taco Casserole combines the Mexican flavor we enjoy with tater tots, enchilada sauce, beef, and cheese! I had everything I needed on hand since the ingredient list is simple and the alterations you can make for your family are endless. Give your Taco Tuesdays a makeover with this new meal option!!
This ooey-gooey flavorful meal has been also been called Mexican Taterpuff Casserole, Mexican hotdish, and more but no matter what you call it this meal is filling and delicious!
All of the ingredients needed for this recipe are pretty basic household staples making it easy to pull together in a pinch.
Ground beef is the protein I chose for this meal but it could easily be traded out for some shredded chicken or other meat source of your choosing or omitted completely for a vegetarian dish.
Onion is sauteed with the beef to enhance the flavor and texture to this meal.
Taco seasoning is, of course, to add the Mexican flavor we are craving. I chose a simple packet today but you could just as easily make your own.
Rotel consists of diced tomatoes and green chili peppers to give this a little punch. You could opt for Mexican corn and/or salsa instead. We add Rotel to a lot of our recipes.
Corn in this recipe is used for flavor, texture, and color. If you prefer this can be swapped out for a different vegetable as well. Like I said, this is a very versatile recipe.
Black beans are the perfect protein-packed ingredient for this meal. Did you know they may also help lower blood cholesterol and high blood pressure levels. If you do not care for black beans they can be replaced with pinto beans.
Yummy melty cheese is another frequent addition to our recipes. It not only adds color and texture but also gives it that cheesy, creamy goodness we enjoy. Did you know freshly grated cheese melts much better than prepacked shredded cheese that has been treated to keep the cheese from clumping together. Try it for yourself.
TATER TOTS These grated and deep fried potato nuggets add some crunch to the meal. This food staple has zero percent fat and contains many nutrients and also give us a good source of vitamins. Depending on the potato you choose. they can provide vitamins B1, B6, and C. Plus they are a good source of potassium, phosphorus, copper, manganese, niacin, and dietary fiber.
ENCHILADA SAUCE Enchilada sauce is a smooth cause that is chili based and meant to add some spice. It’s not only used to make enchiladas but is included in many other dishes.
VIDEO: THE PROCESS
LIKE VIDEO’S? FOLLOW ME ON –> YOUTUBE
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVERMISS AN UPDATE
HOW TO MAKE TATER TOT TACO CASSEROLE
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F and lightly spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. On the stovetop in a skillet brown the ground beef over medium heat and sauté the onions at the same time.
3. Drain the fat off of ground beef & onions.
4. Add in the garlic, taco seasoning, Rotel, corn, and black beans and mix it together.
5. In a large bowl place in your tater tots, 3/4 of the cheese, and the ground beef mixture.
6. Toss everything together until well blended.
7. In your prepared casserole dish pour 1/3 of the enchilada sauce and spread out over the bottom of the pan.
8. Dump and press the ground beef mixture into the casserole dish creating an even layer.
9. Then pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top.
10. Bake this dish in the oven at 375 F for 40 minutes. Then sprinkle on the remaining cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.
11. Let it cool a few minutes and serve it up with all of your favorite toppings.
SUBSTITUTIONS OPTIONS AND TOPPING IDEAS You can easily substitute the beef for shredded chicken, or omit meat altogether for a vegetarian casserole. You can use pinto beans instead of black beans if you prefer. You could make your own taco seasoning. Instead of Rotel and corn you could use Mexican corn and you could even add in your favorite salsa or hot sauce. Add in your favorite diced peppers as well. You can replace the Mexican blend cheese with any cheese of your choice. Just remember freshly grated cheese melts much better than prepacked shredded cheese. Topping options are pretty limitless with guacamole, diced green onions, sour cream, sliced black olives and more.
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVERS?
If you have leftovers just place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Leftovers should last for up to 5 days. For reheating, place individual servings in the microwave for one minute, stir, and another 15 seconds if it’s not hot enough.
FOR SOME ALTERNATIVE TACO TUESDAY RECIPES: TACO SOUP BEEF ENCHILADAS
TATER TOT TACO CASSEROLE
- 1 medium to large skillet
- 1 9 x 14 casserole dish
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 packet taco seasoning (1 ounce)
- 12 oz corn
- 12 oz black beans
- 10 oz Rotel
- 12 oz shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 16 oz frozen tater tots
- 1 can enchilada sauce (12-19oz)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and spray cooking spray lightly in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions at the same time.
- Drain the fat from the ground beef and onion mixture.
- Next add in and thoroughly mix up the taco seasoning, garlic, Rotel, corn, and black beans
- In a large mixing bowl add the tater tots, 3/4 of the shredded cheese, and the mixture of the skillet and toss all together until well combined.
- Pour 1/3 of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish and spread it out.
- Dump the tater tot mixture into the dish and press down evenly into the casserole dish. Then top it all with the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Bake in the oven at 375° F for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese over top of the casserole and bake another 5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Serve it up and enjoy. You can add your favorite toppings: sliced black olives, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and more.