I love a warm bowl of soup on a cold winter day. This Taco soup recipe is one we all enjoy, especially in the winter! Another great warm meal I love is this slow cooker white chicken chili. This is a quick and easy recipe for those days when you don’t have a lot of time or you’re just done.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR TACO SOUP
This recipe will be using ground beef but you could easily use shredded chicken as well.
I use a whole medium yellow onion for this recipe but you can also use red or white.
I really enjoy the taste of black beans in this soup, but your could also use pinto beans or Great Northern beans or all of the above.
Have to make sure to get the veggies in there. I prefer fresh corn but I am using canned for this recipe.
You can use regular diced tomatoes but fire roasted tomatoes taste sweeter with a more subtle smoky flavor right out of the can, instead of the typical bitter/acidic taste of most standard canned tomatoes.
Rotel: Diced tomatoes with green chilies
You can use any brand you like and pick the hotness level. Rotel comes in original, mild, hot, Serrano, and more. I am a light weight so I went with mild. You could also use salsa if you prefer.
There are a lot of options out there when it comes to taco seasonings from shakers, packets, dry, liquid, and homemade. Today for simplicity purposes I am just using a packet.
This is soup after all so it does require some more liquid.
VIDEO OF THE PROCESS
LIKE VIDEO’S? FOLLOW ME ON –> YOUTUBE
How to make slow cooker taco soup
1. Dice a medium onion and sauté while you are browning the ground beef
2. Drain the grease and toss the mixture in the crock pot
3. Add in a drained and rinsed can of black beans
4. Then add in the undrained corn, fire-roasted tomatoes, and finally diced green chilies & tomatoes.
5. Add in 1/2 c of water
6. Top it off with taco seasoning
7. Stir, cover, and heat until completely heated throughout and flavored have infused. Cook on high for a couple hours 2-3 hours or on low for 3-4. Since the meat is already cooked we are simply heating the other ingredients and infusing the flavors.
PRO TIPS This recipe is actually well suited for the stovetop as well. You make everything the same but it heats much quicker the stovetop and can be ready in 15 minutes. You can use shredded chicken in this recipe instead of the ground beef. We change it up based on cravings. For the beans you can use black beans, pinto bean, Great northern beans, and more. You can also use more than one type if you'd like. You can add in regular diced tomatoes and salsa or use fire-roasted tomatoes and Rotel like in this recipe. Everyone can garnish their bowls as they like. I typically top mine with shredded Colby jack cheese and sour cream. My husband and kids like to put Frito's in their bowl and then pour the soup on top of them. I prefer to use my Frito's as scoops.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVERMISS AN UPDATE
FOR MORE RECIPE IDEAS YOU MAY LIKE, TRY: Homemade beef enchiladas Old fashioned goulash Chicken Roulade Creamy Lemon Chicken
Taco Soup Slow cooker or stovetop recipe
- 1 slow cooker
- 1 whole onion
- 2 lb ground beef
- 15 oz can black beans
- 15 oz can corn
- 15 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 10 oz can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- ½ c water
- Dice a medium size onion
- Sauté the onion along with browning 2 lbs of ground beef
- Drain the grease and throw the mixture in the slow cooker
- Add in one can of black beans drained and rinsed
- Then add in one can of corn (undrained)
- Next a can or fire-roasted tomatoes (undrained)
- Followed by a can of Diced tomatoes with green chilies (undrained)
- Add ½ c. water
- Finally add the taco seasoning
- Stir and heat a couple hours on high or longer on low. The meat is already cooked so you are just warming the rest.