These brownies have it all: Fudgy brownie layer, creamy cheesecake layer, and Oreo cookies!! This cheesecake doesn’t require a spring form pan and all the work but you still get the deliciousness of a cheesecake. We keep it in the freezer cut into pieces in an airtight container. They are the ultimate frozen chocolate sandwich.
HOW TO STORE THESE BROWNIES?
Since they do have cream cheese in them they must be stored in the refrigerator or freezer. I prefer them in the freezer but you can try both and decide for yourself. Either way have them in an airtight container and of course a freezer bag if you store them in the freezer. In the fridge they are good for 4 -5 days.
In the freezer they can be kept for up to 3 months.
I love recipes that use basic ingredients that most people have on hand at any given time. No need to run out for special ingredients that will go bad in a couple days if not used immediately. Also no special equipment is needed. I did use a hand mixer but it could honestly all be done with a whisk.
ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR All-purpose flour is used to bind the ingredients together and give the brownie batter it’s structure.
COCOA POWDER This is, of course, added to help create that chocolate brownie batter in addition to the melted chocolate chips.
EGGS The eggs helps bind the ingredients, gives them structure, and helps them to rise a bit. By adding eggs, they not only provide a little protein, but also some flavor, fat, and lecithin which is an emulsifier. This holds it all together and allows the batter to take in extra moisture and extra sugar.
VANILLA EXTRACT Always one of my favorites, vanilla provides flavor and always goes hand-in-hand with cream cheese to help eliminate the sharp bite that can accompany cream cheese while providing that delicious taste we love.
GRANULATED SUGAR White sugar is drier than brown sugars, which helps to create a chewy texture.
BUTTER Unsalted butter is used to control the salt content in baking.
CHOCOLATE CHIP We are using semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe to provide just the right amount to sweetness to the brownie batter and just a sprinkling on top of the crumbled Oreos. I think throwing some butterscotch chips in this recipe would be delicious as well.
SALT Salt is a flavor enhancer, so in baking it helps to create an even sweeter taste.
OREO COOKIES What can I say, but yum. The Oreo cookies provide that crunch to the consistency of these brownies creating a perfect balance.
CREAM CHEESE You want a full fat cream cheese for this recipe because the fat content is crucial to making it smooth and decadent. Make sure it is at room temperature as well, so you don’t end up fighting with lumps.
VIDEO: THE PROCESS
LIKE VIDEO’S? FOLLOW ME ON –> YOUTUBE
HOW TO MAKE OREO CHEESECAKE BROWNIES
This is really easy to put together as you can tell from the video. This is one of my children’s favorites straight from the freezer. My son just said it is so chocolatey and he loves the consistency and smooth, melt-in-your-mouth cheese cake layer.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and line your 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. In a large bowl melt the butter and chocolate chips until smooth. Melt in the microwave in 30 seconds increments, stirring after each until smooth. (It took me two times at 30 seconds and one extra time at 20 seconds)
3. Whisk in the sugar until well combined.
4. Next add in the eggs and vanilla and whisk again until completely integrated.
5. In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
6. Fold this flour mix into the chocolate mixture until well combined.
7. Pour this brownie layer mix into the prepared baking dish and smooth out even.
8. Press the 16 Oreo cookies into the batter in 4 rows of 4 cookies.
9. For the cheesecake layer, beat the cream cheese until fluffy.
10. Add in the sugar, egg, vanilla and beat until well combined and creamy smooth. Pour this over the cookie layer in the baking dish and smooth even.
11. Sprinkle the top with the crushed cookies.
12. Place in the oven at 350 F for 50 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden and the center is set.
13. Place on a wire rack, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, and let it cool completely.
14. Refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting and serving.
KITCHEN TIPS If you use a 9 x 9 baking dish shorten the baking time and start checking on it after 40 minutes. You could also double this recipe and use a 9 x 13 baking dish. I am sure it would take longer to bake though I've never tried it myself. I would start checking on it after an hour. Let me know if you try it. You could take a short cut and use a brownie mix instead of making your own brownie layer. Just make sure the box mix is for a regular size 8 x 8 pan not the larger 9 x 13, unless of course, you're doubling the recipe. You can use different flavors of Oreos or similar type cookies as an alternative. You can drizzle the brownies with chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, serve with ice cream, and/or serve with cool whip or whip cream. Just serve chilled from the refrigerator. You can double this recipe if you'd like and use a 9 x 13 baking dish, but you may need to bake it longer. I have not doubled the recipe myself.
CAN I USE A STORE BOUGHT BROWNIE MIX?
Yes, you can use a store bought brownie mix for the brownie layer in this recipe. Do, however, make sure it is a brownie mix for a smaller 8 x 8 baking dish and not a 9 x 13. Some box mix has directions for a cake like brownie and a fudgy brownie. For this recipe, you will want the fudgy option.
MORE DELICIOUS SWEET TOOTH RECIPES TO TRY: White Chocolate Raspberry Blondies No Bake Blueberry Cream Cheese Dessert Cups Mandarin Orange Cake Roll
OREO CHEESECAKE BROWNIES
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 Stand or hand held mixer
- 1 8 x 8 baking dish
- ½ c all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- ½ c unsalted butter
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ tsp salt
- 16 Oreo cookies (whole)
- 12 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ c granulated sugar
- 7 Oreos crumbled
- ¼ c Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350° F and line either an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, melt the butter and chocolate chips until smooth. Use the microwave and increments of 30 seconds until complete. (I melted mine in the microwave for 30 seconds, stirred, 30 seconds, stirred, and another 20 seconds and mine were melted.)
- Add the granulated sugar into the melted chocolate and whisk until combined.
- Next add in the eggs and vanilla. Whisk once again until smooth and combined.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, cocoa, and salt.
- Pour the flour mix into the chocolate mixture and fold until well combined and a nice smooth consistency.
- In a large bowl (I used the same one the flour mix was in) beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer or stand mixer until fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla, egg, and sugar and continue to beat with the mixer until lump free and completely infused.
- Pour the brownie mix into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly.
- Gently lay the Oreo's 4 rows of 4 cookies side by side and gently press them down into the brownie layer.
- Spread the cheesecake layer over the top of this cookie layer and once again smooth out the surface.
- Sprinkle your crumbled cookies over the top and place it in the oven at 350° F for 50 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
- Cool completely on a wire rack and refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting or serving.