STRAWBERRY CRUNCH TOPPING is a versatile topping that can be added to so many dishes to turn the ordinary into the extraordinary! Sprinkle this on top of cakes, muffins, bagels, oatmeal, cheesecake, ice cream and more. This crunchy sweet recipe is reminiscent of the topping that comes on the Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake bars. I absolutely love it.
We are using Golden Oreos to make this today but you can play around with the recipe by trying different cookies and even different dry Jell-O mixes. This recipe is so easy to change up to create the perfect crumble for any dish. Try creating a lemon version, cherry, blueberry and more.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
DO I HAVE TO USE GOLDEN OREOS? NO, YOU CAN USE YOUR FAVORITE COOKIES FROM VANILLA WAFER TO BISCOFF AND MORE.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR STRAWBERRY CRUNCH TOPPING
There are only three ingredients needed to make this recipe. I like to add a little vanilla extract, but you can make this with or without the vanilla. Prep time is as little as 5 minutes if you chose the No-bake method but only takes 8 – 10 minutes with the preferred the baked method.
GOLDEN OREO COOKIES These golden Oreo cookies are the base for this recipe giving it the sweet crunch. As I stated above this can be changed out to other cookies if you would prefer something like Biscoff or use the store brand.
STRAWBERRY JELL-O Strawberry Jell-O is what gives it the strawberry flavor but can also be changed out depending on the flavor you are going for like Cherry, lemon, and more.
BUTTER Melted butter is what helps meld these flavors together and adds richness.
VANILLA (optional) This optional ingredient just gives it a hint of vanilla flavor that I enjoy.
**Kitchen Tips/Alterations** This simple recipe just adds some pizazz to regular recipes and takes them to another level. *Try changing out the cookies used and Jell-O flavor to create the perfect toppings. -Lemon Jell-O to sprinkle on top of Lemon bars or Cherry Jell-O on top of your favorite ice cream. Banana cream pie Jell-O and vanilla wafers to sprinkle on top of banana bread or banana pudding. *You can make alterations to the ingredients you add to make more or less as needed. * You can use salted or unsalted butter for this recipe.
VIDEO OF THE PROCESS
LIKE VIDEO’S? FOLLOW ME ON –> YOUTUBE
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVERMISS AN UPDATE
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY CRUCH TOPPING
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line your baking sheet with either Parchment paper or a silicone mat and set off to the side until you are ready for it.
- Add 24 Golden Oreo’s to your food processor and pulse around 4 – 5 times to give them a rough chop. Alternatively you can crush them up in a Ziplock bag with a rolling pin. meat mallet, or by hand.
- Now add in your dry strawberry Jell-O mix and pulse 3 – 4 times.
- After adding in the Jell-O you now add in the melted butter and optional vanilla extract and pulse 3 or 4 more times to mix it together and meld those flavors.
- Dump the topping out onto your prepared baking sheet and spread it out into a thin even layer and bake for 8 – 10 minutes until just starting to turn golden and aromatic.
- Cool completely before storing.
(For this method you can use the Strawberry Jell-O or alternatively add freeze-dried strawberries.)
- Add your 24 Golden Oreos to the food processor and give them a rough chop by pulsing them several times.
- Now add in either the Jell-O dry mix or the freeze-dried strawberries and pulse them a few more times to mix the two ingredients together.
- Pour in your melted butter and optional vanilla and pulse 3 – 4 more times to meld the flavors together and just moisten the cookie crumbs. Do not over mix as you want this to remain a crumbly mix.
DO I HAVE TO BAKE THIS STRAWBERRY CRUNCH TOPPING? No, you can use the No-Bake option. I just prefer the Baked option because it just adds that toasted crunch I really enjoy but both options work.
HOW DO I STORE THE STRAWBERRY CRUNCH TOPPING? Simply store leftovers in a sealed container (bag, jar, or other container) in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
HERE ARE SOME MORE GREAT STRAWBERRY RECIPES: Strawberry Vanilla Cake Strawberry Spoon Cake Strawberry Cake Cookies Strawberry Crunch Cheesecake Cones
STRAWBERRY CRUNCH TOPPING
- 1 FOOD PROCESSOR OR CHOPPER
OVEN METHOD (My favorite-Most like the Good Humor bar: Crunchy with subtle strawberry taste)
- 24 cookies Golden Double Stuff Family Size Oreos (2 sleeves)
- 3 oz Strawberry Jell-O powder only/NOT prepared
- 5 Tbsp melted butter salted or unsalted works
- ¼ tsp Vanilla extract (OPTIONAL)
NO-BAKE METHOD (Stronger strawberry taste but not crunchy like the baked version)
- 24 cookies Golden Double Stuff Family size Oreos (2 sleeves)
- 3 oz Strawberry Jell-O Powder only NOT prepared **OR**
- 1 oz Freeze-dried Strawberries
- 5 Tbsp Butter Melted
- ¼ tsp Vanilla extract **OPTIONAL**
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or an oven safe silicone mat.
- Put the Oreo's in the food processor and pulse to process approximately 20 quick pulses until it's roughly crumbled.
- Sprinkle the Jell-O powder over the top and pulse a few more times to thoroughly combine them.
- Drizzle the melted butter (and optional vanilla) over the mix and pulse using quick bursts until its all combined and looks like the crumbly mixture we remember from the Good Humor bars. (approx. 10-12 pulses)
- Spread out in an even layer on the baking sheet and place in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes until just lightly golden. You will smell the sweet strawberry aroma.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before using or storing.
NO-BAKE METHOD (quick and easy method)
- Put the Oreo's in the food processor and pulse using quick, short bursts. Approx. 20 pulses to give them a rough chop.
- Add in either your freeze-dried strawberries or the Jell-O powder at this time. Pulse a few more times.
- Drizzle the melted butter (and optional vanilla) at this time and pulse a few more times combine it all and create the crumble mixture. **DO NOT OVER PROCESS**