This deceptively simple strawberry spoon cake is quick to make and amazing straight from the oven. A simple, white cake batter covered in sliced strawberries and a strawberry sauce that becomes like a jelly sauce after it’s baked. This delicious combination creates a tender and moist mouthwatering treat. Try it served up warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
The texture of this scrumptious cake is very much like a dump cake, spoon bread, or pudding cake with its moist cake and refreshing fruit toppings. I am excited to try this recipe with other fruit toppings like blueberries, peaches, and more. The simple cake batter slightly rises and turns golden, as the fruit topping gently sinks in and the juices thicken into a jelly like sauce creating this drool-worthy treat..
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
WHY IS CALLED A SPOON CAKE? This is a called a spoon cake because it’s the best way to serve it up. This cake is a combination of a cake and a pudding with the way the fruits macerate to create a jelly like filling that is melt-in-your-mouth delicious!
INGREDIENTS FOR STRAWBERRY SPOON CAKE
This recipe is quick and easy and only requires a few simple ingredients. There is not a lot of work required to make this either, that’s one reason why I really enjoy making this dessert for my family. Plus it’s versatile, meaning you can simply change out the fruit topping of choice and create a new dessert.
STRAWBERRY SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- Granulated sugar
- Fresh strawberries
- Lemon juice
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
*KITCHEN NOTES * You can add some red food coloring to the strawberry sauce if you want an even redder looking topping. *Cornstarch mixed in with the sugar helps to keep things from clumping together *You can change the fruit topping to other favorites like: peaches, blueberries, and more. *Fresh strawberries hold their shape better but you could use thawed out frozen strawberries as well. *Allow the strawberry sauce to sit for 10-15 minutes while you prepare the cake so it can macerate.
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVERS? This recipe makes six good size scoops of dessert. If you do have leftovers you can cover it with plastic wrap and keep in in the fridge for up to 3 days. You could cover it and keep it on the counter but it really needs to be consumed within two days. I don’t recommend freezing this dessert as it changes the consistency.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS SO YOU NEVER MISS AN UPDATE
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SPOON CAKE
Prepare to be enjoying this sweet treat in no time! Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare your cake pan. I am using a 12.8″ x 8.7″ cake pan but you could easily use an 8″ round can pan as well. Lightly grease your pan and let’s get started.
STRAWBERRY SAUCE PREPARTIONS
1. Mix the 2 tsp. of cornstarch and 1/2 c. of granulated sugar together. The added cornstarch helps to prevent clumping.
2. Hull and cut your strawberries into equally sized chunks. Slice enough for 2 cups of sliced strawberries.
3. Stir the 2 c. of sliced strawberries and 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice into the sugar mix pressing down slightly to help them release some of their juices and set aside to macerate while we prepare the cake batter.
PREPARING THE CAKE BATTER
1. In a medium size mixing bowl combine your 1/2 c. of melted butter, 3/4 c. of granulated sugar, 1 beaten egg, 1/2 c. of milk, and 1 1/4 tsp. of vanilla.
2. whisk until thoroughly combined.
3. Now add in the 1/2 tsp. of salt, 1 1/4 tsp. of baking powder, and 1 c. of flour. Stir together until a smooth consistency.
4. Pour this batter into your prepared baking dish.
5. Spread it out evenly then spoon on the strawberries and their juices.
6. Bake in the oven at 350 F for about 25-30 minutes until the edges are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Cool for 5 minutes, Scoop, Serve, and enjoy!!
Please share your creations with me if you try this recipe on Facebook and Instagram.
Here are a few more desserts you may enjoy.. Strawberry vanilla cake White chocolate raspberry blondies No bake blueberry cream cheese dessert cups Strawberry cake cookies
STRAWBERRY SPOON CAKE
- 1 cake pan I used a 12.8 x 8.7, an 8" cake pan also works
- 2 medium bowls
- ½ c granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 c fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- ½ t salt
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ c butter, melted
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- ½ c milk
- 1¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and prepare your pan by greasing it. I used a 12.8" x 8.7" pan in the picture but an 8" cake pan would work as well.
PREPARING THE STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- In one bowl mix together the corn starch and sugar.
- Hull your strawberries and cut them into equal size pieces. The medium size strawberries I cut in half lengthwise and then in half width wise and cut the others to be close to this same size.
- Add the strawberries and lemon juice to the sugar/cornstarch mix coating them all well and pressing down a bit to help the strawberries release more of their juices. Set this aside to continue to macerate as your prepare the cake batter.
CAKE BATTER INSTRUCTIONS
- In your other bowl combine the melted butter, sugar, egg, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk it all together.
- Then add in your salt, baking powder, and flour. Mix together until it is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread evenly.
- Spoon on the strawberries and juices. I tried to not go all the way up to the edges.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes at 350°F or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the edges are lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 5 – 10 minutes and then scoop up with a spoon into bowls and serve with vanilla ice cream.
- You can add in a few drops of red food coloring with the strawberry sauce you’d like.